13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
Hermenuetics = A discipline for understanding and studying scripture.
When reading the bible, you have to take the time to understand the context, culture, and circumstance.
“All meaning is context dependent” – John Wimber
The context behind Paul’s letter to the Ephesians:
- To secure proper teaching of the Gospel inside the church
- To secure a persuasive teaching of the Gospel outside the church
- Paul to Timothy – this is what I’ve been called to, I’m now calling you to.
1 Timothy 2:1-3 – I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior …
- Have a posture / presence that is godly and Christ-like
- To present a persuasive alternate to a broken world.
- The gospel is not just information – it’s the transformation of your heart and how Jesus is reflected in you.
Christians can remain thankful and hopeful in the midst of life’s storms / chaos because we know we follow a king above all kings! A king who we know is working towards something good.
Philippians 4:11-13: – 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Christians can remain confident and content because we can do everything through Jesus!
Four steps to take as a result of this message:
- Pray (for those above you and those against you)
- Remember the gospel in your life
- Identify your fears (it’s in those spaces where your faith needs work)
- Exercise faith in those spaces
- How did the Holy Spirit speak to your personally through this message?
- As a result of this message, what steps is the spirit wanting you to take?
- Do you take time to understand the context, culture and circumstances of scripture?
- What does it mean to persuasively teach / deliver the gospel?
- How can you personally deliver the gospel in a way that’s persuasive?
- What does it mean to you to have a posture / presence that’s godly and Christ-like?
- Is your faith in God, the king of kings, strong enough that you remain thankful / hopeful in the midst of life’s storms and chaos? Share an example.
- How do you remember the gospel in your life?
- Are you able to identify your fears? If no, what steps can you take to identify them? If yes, how do you exercise faith in those spaces?
Additional Events & Dates
- Life Support – Grief Share: grieving the loss of a loved one? You don’t have to do it alone. We have a Grief Share support group that meets every Monday from 7-8:30pm at the Vista Dublin Office and Family & Student Center. For more information, contact email@example.com.
- Operation Christmas Child: boxes are due back on Sunday, Novemeber 11.
- Volunteer help – the Vista Dublin office is looking for a few people who would be willing to volunteer throughout the week. If you have some time and would like to help, please let Ali Hooper know.