Acts 1:6-11 6So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, “Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?” 7He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
9And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them. 11They also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”
Acts 11:19-23 19So then those who were scattered because of the persecution that occurred in connection with Stephen made their way to Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except to Jews alone. 20But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who came to Antioch and began speaking to the Greeks also, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a large number who believed turned to the Lord. 22The news about them reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas off to Antioch. 23Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; 24for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord. 25And he left for Tarsus to look for Saul; 26and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
- Acts 1:6-8 –> You don’t need to be concerned with the details of what the future holds. You need to know I (God) am doing something powerful NOW.–> I’m going to do something in and through you that will be monumental.
- “The embodiment of the gospel is personal – Jesus Christ in human flesh. From Creation to Redemption, God has worked in and through people.” ~Tom Mauriello
- Who is the church?
- Those past, present, future, around the globe, believing, confessing, obeying, and telling the story of Jesus, and adding to the number doing the same.
- When did the church begin?
- Matt 16: 13, 15, 18 The foundation on which God is going to build His church is people who believe and have the Spirit.
- Why does the church exist? (Not asking for what purpose, but rather how is it sustained)
- Acts 11:19-23 Because God’s hand is on the church/His people
- One of the challenges we have is finding the words to tell other people about what God has done. We need to be aware that this is sometimes challenging and practice getting better at it.
- What stuck out to you about the message? Why/How were you impacted?
- Why are you at church?
- The church is YOU! Is that understanding different than what/who you believed the church to be?
- The church is the people of God, going to those far from God, telling others about God. Who are those in your life far from God?
- In Acts 1:11, the angels asked those watching Jesus ascend into heaven, “Why do you stand around looking into the sky?” Essentially, they were asking why are you standing around when you know what your mission is? Let’s get to work! What is that mission? How do you get to work?
- How have you seen God moving in your life or in the lives of others?
- How has that situation (however you saw God show up) changed you? What do you think God might want you to do as a result of experiencing His grace in that particular situation?
Key Events / Dates
- Discover Vista – Sunday, January 28th (5:30-7:30pm). Discover Vista is a time of connection and discovery over a meal!
Come learn more about our vision and values, meet leaders and ask questions. Questions? Email Ali Hooper (email@example.com).
Child care is provided.